Good Weekend

Started out listening to Tullamore perform at J, Murphy's in Shawnee Friday night. J. Murphy's was the RockRose Cafe,/Bar, but evidently couldn't turn a profit o they filled it with TV's, painted it green and put up a few Guinness signs and called it an Irish pub. It was only my second time there, and as before the service was good, but the food was mediocre and overpriced for what it was. Luckily, I was not there for the food. Tullamore was did a fantastic job as always. It was a little odd though. The sound system was not very good, it was using a wireless link from the stage to hit the sound system and there was lots of static and buzzing. I was fortunate to be sitting directly by the stage, and while it somewhat limited my view, I was able to hear quite well despite the problems from the electronics.

The stranger part had to do with the TVs in the place.  I don't like TVs in a pub, they distract you from the people and the music.   J. Murphy's has a TV at every table and plastered over all the walls, and even one directly over the stage.  I had thought it would really distract the audience from the band, but the girls in the band kept watching the Olympics playing on several of the screens.  Of course it was Male Volleyball and Swimming.  It didn't seem to hurt their playing at all, but was amusing watching them staring at a screen rather than their instruments or the audience.  A huge cheer also went up in the middle of a song when Phelps won his 7th gold.

As so often happens I show up at one of these gigs feeling tired and thinking maybe I would have been better off staying at home. That feeling never lasts more than a couple of minutes past when they start playing though and I had a great time.

Sunday I took my first real Canoe trip in about four years. It was a spur of a moment thing, and my wife Sueann was so disturbed by the idea of me canoeing on the Missouri River alone that she decided to go with me. I was a bit worried about that at first, since we haven't canoed together in about 9 years since we lived in Maine and took a couple of trips on the Kennebec. Those trips didn't go particularly well and we didn't repeat it for a long time.

Things went really well though. We put in around Farley, MO on the Platte River and took it to the Missouri and then on to Parkville, a total distance of around 17 miles or so. It was actually a little farther than I had planned, but we got a long well and it was nice to do something besides sit in front of the computer all day for a change. SueAnn went into mom mode several time, relating stories of how many people die on the Missouri River and how dangerous sand bars and everything else along the river can be. Even so, we had a good time and manage to avoid the horrible death awaiting us around every bend.